Friday, May 8, 2009

Midwife

One of my big fears was that my newly discovered Bicornuate Uterus would put me in the high-risk category, and therefore prevent me from using a midwife rather than an OB/GYN for the pregnancy and birth.

Well we met with a midwife on Wednesday afternoon, and got great news - they've had patients before with my condition, and had no problems at all taking me on as a patient. The midwife (I won't mention her name to keep her privacy) was very optimistic, and told me not to look at the statistics, risks and stories online, since many of them were blown out of proportion and biased, since many women with bicornuate uteri never even know about their deformity unless a problem arises.

I am very relieved after Wednesdays' meeting, and very optimistic that everything will turn out just fine. She even said that I could still have a homebirth, and or waterbirth, if everything goes smoothly, but we will discuss that further on into the pregnancy, closer to labour.

Our next appointment with her is on June 3rd, and I cannot wait to see her again. I feel like I'm in great hands, and like she truly cares about my physical and emotional well-being. I'm also crossing my fingers that we'll be able to hear the heartbeat on a Doppler next time, since I'll be 12 weeks pregnant by then! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment